The size of Cardigan Village is approximately 0.8 square kilometres with a population 505 in 2011. By the 2016 Census the population was 668 showing growth of 32.3 per cent in the area during that time.
Cardigan and Cardigan Village are on the Western Highway 11 km and 14 km respectively north-west of Ballarat. Cardigan was named after Lord Cardigan, Commander of the Light Brigade in the Crimean War.
Situated in an agricultural district, Cardigan at various times had a school (1860), a hotel and a Presbyterian church.
Cardigan Village is a satellite residential subdivision formed in the early 1980s and at the time was then stated to have a projected population of several thousand people. A 200-hectare development site to include 3200 houses, recreational facilities, hotel and shops in Cardigan was identified in 2010.
CoreLogic data indicates that the predominant age group in Cardigan Village is 0-9 years with households in Cardigan Village being primarily couples with children and are likely to be repaying $1800 – $2399 per month on mortgage repayments, and in general, people in Cardigan Village work in a clerical occupation.
In 2011, 86.8 per cent of the homes in Cardigan Village were owner-occupied compared with 87.8 per cent in 2016.
Source: Ballarat Times News Group