The size of Delacombe is approximately 5.4 square kilometres and has four parks covering nearly 1.9 per cent of total area. The population of Delacombe in 2011 was 4,932 people and by the 2016 Census the population was 6,309 showing a population growth of 27.9 per cent in the area during that time.
Delacombe is a residential and industrial suburb 4km south-west of the centre of Ballarat on the Glenelg Highway and has one of several heritage-listed mileposts (pre-1870), giving distances between Linton and Ballarat. Its industrial origin was a munitions factory, opened in 1941 during World War II and was known as the gun-cotton area. The factory was south of Victoria Park, Newington, and the spur railway line to the nearby cattle yards was extended to the factory. Non-military industrialisation and residential subdivision occurred during the late 1960s with the suburb named after Major General Sir Rohan Delacombe, Governor of Victoria, 1963-74.
CoreLogic data indicates that the predominant age group in Delacombe is 20-29 years with households in Delacombe being primarily couples with children and are likely to be repaying $1,400 – $1,799 per month on mortgage repayments, and in general, people in Delacombe work in a trades occupation. In 2011, 72.5 per cent of the homes in Delacombe were owner-occupied compared with 71.5 per cent in 2016.
Source: Ballarat Times News Group