Delacombe is approximately 5.4 square kilometres and has four parks covering nearly 1.9 per cent of total area. The population in 2011 was 4932 people and by the 2016 Census it was 6309, showing a population growth of 27.9 per cent in the area during that time.
Delacombe is a residential and industrial suburb four kilometres south-west of the centre of Ballarat. It’s on the Glenelg Highway and has one of several heritage-listed mileposts (pre1870), giving distances between Linton and Ballarat.
Its industrial origin was a munitions factory, opened in 1941 during World War II, and was known as the gun-cotton area. The factory was south of Victoria Park, Newington, and the spur railway line to the nearby cattle yards was extended to the factory. Non-military industrialisation and residential subdivision occurred during the late 1960s.
The suburb was named after Major General Sir Rohan Delacombe, Governor of Victoria, 1963-74.
In September 2010 and again in January 2011 many parts of regional Victoria experienced widespread severe flooding.
In Delacombe several homes were inundated by floodwater after a spill into the town from Lake Wendouree which had been artificially filled in 2010 following drought.
CoreLogic data indicates that the predominant age group in Delacombe is 20-29 years with households being primarily couples with children and are likely to be repaying $1400 – $1799 per month on mortgage repayments.
Source: Ballarat Times News Group