The size of Redan is approximately 2.2 square kilometres and has seven parks covering nearly 25.6 per cent of total area. The population of Redan in 2011 was 2975 people and by the 2016 Census it had declined to 2893, or 2.8 per cent, during that time.
Redan is immediately south of central Ballarat and is believed to be named after the Redan deep lead, one of Ballarat’s later gold discoveries in 1856. The lead was named after the fortification at Sebastopol in the Crimean War the year before.
One of Redan’s earliest public facilities was the Miners’ Racecourse (1862), now the site of a raceway in Morshead Park. It ran for 100 years, when its events were transferred to the Dowling Forest racecourse, Miners Rest.
A government primary school opened in 1874 and a Catholic school opened the next year. The parish was a strong one and built replacement school buildings in 1886 and 1924. Redan was on an electric tramline (1913) along Drummond and Skipton Streets from Ballarat to Sebastopol.
CoreLogic data indicates that the predominant age group in Redan is 20-29 years with households in Redan being primarily childless couples and are likely to be repaying $1000 – $1399 per month on mortgage repayments, and in general, people in Redan work in a professional occupation.
In 2011, 52.7 per cent of the homes in Redan were owner-occupied compared with 48.5 per cent in 2016.
Source: Ballarat Times News Group